Sunday, May 22, 2011

The real me…

Things are going well. The anti-depressants have kicked in to the point that I’m feeling quite mellow. I’m still having issues with my sleep patterns and resultant tiredness, but I’ll have a chat to the doctor about that this afternoon when I go for a check-up.

On the weekend, a friend blogged about their own battle with depression and a recent fall back into the blackness. They talked about their concerns about being medicated and now wanting to lose who they really are.

It’s something that I related to. In the past, I had my gynaecologist come up with a different birth control because I didn’t like how the pill evened me out. Sure, not having the downs was good, but I lost the highs as well. An IUD solved that problem.

It is something that plays on my mind now that I’m on anti-depressants, because I’m also on the pill at the moment too (to deal with peri-menopause symptoms). I recognise that right now, I need the help – my brain is seriously out of whack – but I don’t want to lose ME.

Then someone commented on my friends blog and paraphrasing it went like this – a psychologist friend told them that actually, the unmedicated you probably isn’t the real you. After all, you’re on medication because your brain chemistry is fucked up, right?

It’s like a brain explosion. We all know that in bi-polar, the manic phase is as dangerous as the depression phase. I’m not bi-polar, I don’t get manic, but maybe the at time intense highs and lows I go through, which I’ve always associated with me being an ‘emotional’ person, aren’t healthy either.

Maybe once the anti-depressants get my brain chemistry under control, I’m going to find the ‘real’ me.

I’ll discuss it with the counsellor at my session on Wednesday and see what she thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment